Sunday, February 28, 2010

So....I am trying to figure out what ritual is to me. I feel like anything that could remotely indicate a ritual is more a habit, routine or compulsion. Everything from making coffee in the morning, to how i get from place to place, what I eat and brushing my teeth seem like conditioned activities not ritual.

Ritual seems like something that indicates a mystery, or a fear of not being able to fulfill an action without another action. Maybe it is my doubt in a higher being that takes away my need or belief in ritual. Ritual always seems to be associated with ceremony and rites of passage. For me it reminds me of being an alter boy, and seeing the Catholic mass from right beside the alter, that is ritual. It seems to have been lost in our world.

I don't know what it is to me, maybe it is what is missing. Maybe it is time to create my own rituals that allow me to enter a different state of being or fulfill an unknown need within me? Some times I think it might just begin with believing in something inside of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment